What is AVID Elementary?
A foundational component to the AVID College and Career Readiness System
A collection of best practices
A mindset and belief that all students be given opportunities to reach their potential
AVID strategies are embedded throughout the school day
Utilizing WICOR (writing, inquiry, collaboration, organization, reading) instructional practices for learning
AVID, Advancement Via Individual Determination, is a school-wide transformation effort focused on leadership, systems, instruction, and culture and is designed to increase the number of students who enroll and succeed in higher education and in their lives beyond high school. Did you know? AVID students complete college entrance requirements at a rate 2.5 times greater than U.S. students overall.
The AVID program has established a strong academic curriculum that is differentiated which provides:
- Focus on writing,inquiry, organization, collaboration, reading instruction, study skills, note taking strategies
- Empowers students with academic career and life skills
- Hands-on math experiences emphasizing skill and concept development utilizing depth and complexity icons
- Performance-based groupings in math and language arts to meet individual student needs
- On-going assessment and evaluation of student achievement
- Use of technology as a tool to teach all subjects in order to engage students in vigorous, collaborative and meaningful learning experiences.